Florianópolis is a coastal city in the state of Santa Catarina, located partially on an island and partially on a continental portion. It was colonized by azorean immigrants, that due to the strategic positioning of the island began to occupy it around 1737. Here, they built fortresses which were used for territorial defense, and some of them can still be visited today.
Since then, the island began to be populated. The major activities were the manufacturing production of linen and cotton, the confection of flour from cassava and the bobbin laces made by the rendeiras. Florianópolis has more than 42 beaches and a stunning landscape, capable of charming any and all.
Some of the tourist attractions are:
Centro Histórico de Florianópolis
- Casa da Alfândega: Edification dated from 1876, it was used as a customs office. The ground floor functions today as an art gallery and a fair for handcrafts.
- Mercado Público: its “boxes” are formed by many bars and restaurants for every taste, and other stores and local businesses.
- Praça XV de Novembro: it is where the famous fig tree is located, a tree over a 100 years old and a symbol for the city.
- Catedral Metropolitana de Florianópolis.
- Palácio Cruz e Sousa: built in the XVIII century and used as an office for the government. Today it houses the Museu Histórico de Santa Catarina.
Ponte Hercílio Luz: The most famous postcard from Florianópolis, was built to connect the island to the continental part of Florianópolis. It is the biggest suspension bridge in Brazil and was built between 1922 and 1926. At the moment it is under a restauration process, started in 2005 and with no date for it to be finished
We suggest Guia Floripa – Patrimônios Históricos for more information about the historical heritage of Florianópolis.
- Santa Cruz de Anhatomirim
- São José da Ponta Grossa
- Santo Antônio de Ratones
We suggest Guia Floripa – Fortalezas for more information about the fortresses of Florianópolis.
- North: Canasvieiras beach, Ingleses beach, Jurerê beach, Daniela beach, Cachoeira do Bom Jesus, Brava beach, Santinho beach, Lagoinha beach, Cacupé beach, Santo Antônio de Lisboa, Sambaqui…
- South: Ribeirão da Ilha, Campeche beach, Morro das Pedras beach, Armação beach, Lagoa do Peri, Matadeiro beach, Lagoinha do Leste beach…
- East: Lagoa da Conceição, Joaquina beach, Mole beach, Barra da Lagoa…
We suggest Guia Floripa – Praias for more information about the beaches in Florianópolis.